Percussion Scholarship Program
The Percussion Scholarship Program (PSP) offers intensive, weekly percussion instruction on a full scholarship basis to Chicago youth in grades 3-12. Students are selected for the program through a competitive application process that includes a provisional period followed by an invitation to participate through eighth grade. Select students are invited to continue through high school.
The program meets weekly on Saturdays year round, and provides each student with instruments, lesson books and materials at no cost. PSP members also perform as an ensemble twice per year in Buntrock Hall at Symphony Center in addition to giving special concerts throughout each season.
PSP boasts a roster of alumni who have gone on to some of the nation’s finest colleges, universities and conservatories, later assuming notable careers within and outside of music.
The Negaunee Music Institute at the CSO is now accepting applications to join the Percussion Scholarship Program in March 2023.
Para leer sobre el programa y el proceso de solicitud en español, consulte la carta para padres.
To apply for the Percussion Scholarship Program, students must currently be in third-fourth grade. We are looking for students who work well with others and have a great sense of responsibility and commitment. It is not required that students have a background in music, nor do they need to have ever played a percussion instrument.
Students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter the program.
There are three steps to a student’s application:
- Complete the required application materials. Each of the three questionnaires may be submitted at different times, but we must have received all three by the deadline. The three required questionnaires are as follows:
- Student Questionnaire (completed by the student)
- Teacher Questionnaire (completed by the general classroom or music teacher nominating the student)
- Parent/Guardian Questionnaire (completed by the student’s parent or legal guardian). Parents must also read the Parent Letter.
- If invited, students and their parents/guardians must attend the Percussion Scholarship Recital at Symphony Center. After the concert, applicants will sign up for an interview time.
- On Sunday, March 12, applicants must complete a short interview at Symphony Center.
The application deadline is Friday, February 24. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered. Interview results will be emailed on a rolling basis.
Qualified students with their parents and guardians will be invited to attend the Percussion Scholarship Program’s Family Day Recital at 2:00pm on Sunday, March 5 at Symphony Center. Please note that attendance at this concert is a mandatory component of the application process - students will sign up for their interview time that evening.
Interviews will take place on Sunday, March 12 at Symphony Center. Results will be emailed to all applicants by Tuesday, March 14.
If you have any questions, please contact Autumn Stolle.
Accepted applicants will begin in the program on Saturday, March 18, 2023.