CSO ASSOCIATION EMPLOYMENT
Be part of the world-renowned Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association. Many different talents and skills are needed to provide management and support for this cultural treasure.
CSO RECORDING INTERN (nonpaid)
The CSO is providing a recording internship for students of audio engineering to learn more about their craft as it applies to recording and production of a world-class orchestra.
- The CSO recording internship will be offered to an individual enrolled in a program of higher education, new college graduates, or young adults 18 years old or older who have been out of school 12 months or less who seek to build their skills in order to enter the audio production field.
- Internships will last a minimum of six weeks, starting in late October or late February. The CSO offers flexibility with actual starting and ending dates, depending on the intern’s availability and the Orchestra’s schedule.
- Must be local to Chicago or surrounding suburbs or willing to move temporarily. No housing assistance will be provided by the CSO.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with Audio Engineer on weekly input lists based on programmed repertoire and physical setup on stage.
- Observe weekly microphone setups with Audio Engineer and stage crew.
- Assist orchestral recording and postproduction including audio editing, mixing, noise removal and mastering.
- Light audio organization and distribution of recorded content.
- Studio maintenance including software updates and equipment configuration.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Reports to CSO Audio Engineer.
- Works closely with members of the IATSE Local 2 stagehands.
- Other contacts include: Operations Department
- Minimum 2 years of education of audio engineering.
- Demonstrated interest in orchestral music and basic knowledge of symphonic repertoire.
- Familiarity and comfort with Windows-based computers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
When applying, applicants should include a cover letter expressing their qualifications and interest in the internship.