Whether it's a straightforward bequest, a charitable gift annuity, or a more complex trust arrangement, planned gifts support the CSO's vital Endowment Fund and often provide financial benefits to you as well. Tax savings, current cash payments, supplemental support for family members and friends — these and other benefits are available depending on your circumstances and objectives. Upon your request, we are very pleased to provide detailed information which will help guide you in your decision making process.
All planned giving donors enjoy the benefits of membership in the Theodore Thomas Society, named in honor of the founding music director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Through special activities and access to VIP Patron Services, the Theodore Thomas Society honors its members by enhancing their appreciation of music and their sense of belonging to the CSO family.
How can I become a member of the Theodore Thomas Society?
Make an estate arrangement to benefit your Chicago Symphony Orchestra. We can help you understand the options available and the ways to go about setting up the arrangement that is just right for you. If you have already included the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in your estate plan, please notify our Director of Planned Giving and Governing Members, Alice Joseph Barda at 312-294-3191 or by email.
To become a General Member of the Theodore Thomas Society, it is not necessary to provide estate documentation. Your word is enough. However, we appreciate knowing the details of your gift. That way, you can be sure that the gift works as you intended. This information helps us plan, too. To receive the additional benefits of the Stradivarian Associates, a unique group within the Theodore Thomas Society, we ask you to provide documentation of an irrevocable planned gift of $50,000 or a revocable planned gift of at least $100,000.
What are the general benefits of membership?
- Annual Fall Theodore Thomas Society Luncheon in connection with a concert at Symphony Center.
- An invitation to the Annual Meeting of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association.
- Recognition in Notebook throughout the season and in the Annual Report.
(Those who wish to remain anonymous may certainly do so.)
- An invitation to all Open Rehearsals of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
- An invitation to a backstage tour of Symphony Center.
- Invitations to tours, special concerts and galas sponsored by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
- Access to VIP Patron Services.
What are the additional benefits enjoyed by the Stradivarian Associates?
- Full membership in The Club at Symphony Center. The CSO’s private dining facility, The Club occupies the eighth and ninth floors of Symphony Center. The Club offers its members a spectacular view and delicious cuisine prepared by its talented culinary staff.
- An invitation to two Salon Series events.
For more information about making a planned gift to your Chicago Symphony Orchestra, please contact our Director of Planned Giving and Governing Members, Alice Joseph Barda at 312-294-3191 or by email.